E-mountain bikes level the playing field between riders with different fitness levels and abilities. Uphills become a joy, taking riders to places they couldn’t previously reach, and prolonging the riding enjoyment. And when riding uphill can be quicker, it gives riders more time to enjoy the downhills.
This is achieved by a lightweight and compact E8000 drive unit, designed around the concept of being intuitive and providing a natural feeling for the rider. The drive unit is compact so frame manufacturers can make e-MTB frames with shorter chainstays, giving riders have better maneuverability on the trail. The cranks sit with a narrow Q-factor, so riders feel like they are riding a standard mountain bike. And most importantly the lightweight unit is controlled intuitively by a lefthand power mode switch with three settings (Eco, Trail and Boost) for different types of terrain.
Shimano first launched its urban and leisure-orientated e-bike components (E6000) in 2014. Now, with the knowledge and experience that comes from many years of developing high-end MTB components, Shimano unites its technological expertise with the release of its E8000 components, dedicated towards the rigors and demands of e-mountain biking but designed so that riders can experience the true sensation of the mountain bike.
- The SHIMANO STEPS E8000 MTB groupset features a powerful drive unit (DU-E8000).
- Power for the motor is provided through a large capacity 500Wh battery (BT-E8010), complete with battery mount (BM-E8010).
- Driving force is transmitted through a dedicated chainring including crank arms (FC-E8050/E8000) and a 34T or 38T chain ring (SM-CRE80-B/CRE80), which comes with an optional chain retention device (SM-CDE80).
- The system is controlled through a sleek bar-mounted cycle computer (SC-E8000) and a FIREBOLT switch unit for assistance control (SW-E8000-L), along with a speed sensor set (SM-DUE10) for the rear wheel.
- The remaining components of the drivetrain can be supplied from Shimano’s Di2 MTB components (XTR/XT) or mechanical 10 and 11 speed drivetrains.
- The new SHIMANO STEPS MTB system can communicate via Bluetooth with the E-TUBE software platform allowing you to change settings and customize your set-up via computers, tablets or smartphones.
The compact and powerful 70Nm of torque provided from the SHIMANO STEPS MTB motor is designed to make every moment of every ride fun.